Introduction

"In any endeavor, find yourself an example of success, and model yourself after that. There is no need to reinvent the wheel."

The Problem:

The above words, or words very much like them, were one of the most prevalent phrases found in the hundreds of business lectures, podcasts, motivational speeches and marketing courses I hurled myself into in the first few months of attempting to become a professional artist. After devoting years to learning the techniques of the trade, the day after graduation I found myself out in the real world with not a real clue how to market my work. Sound familiar? 

It makes perfect sense; do as the masters do, until you are a master. There was only one problem: While I could find hundreds of freelancers and entrepreneurs offering detailed strategies and business plans, very few were applicable towards artists. So many people on the online community are generous with their information, and taught me about business and marketing; but there just didn't seem to be very specific advice addressing the niche challenges faced by artists.

The Solution:

The way forward is clear: Do not reinvent the wheel. 

Artists have survived in the past -- more than that, artists have succeeded, thrived in the past; there is no reason we cannot continue to do so. All we need are a few models of success.

The Mission:

Here at Professional Artist Interviews, the goal is simple; I interview successful artists to gain a clear understanding of their career strategies and daily practices which have helped them succeed. I make this information available through this blog to other artists because I believe members of the artistic community should help each other thrive. 

I've had the opportunity to talk to some amazing professional artists, who have been very generous with their information and advice. Be on the look-out for my first interview, where I talk to Laura Thompson of The Florence Studio. I'll be posting it in mid-April, so be sure to look for it, or subscribe so you never miss an interview!  

One Final Note:

Success is a relative term. One artist's definition of success may not match another's; Whatever definition they choose, it will become the guide for all their plan of actions; In fact, one's  definition of success may be the greatest influence over their outcome.  

For that reason I begin every interview with the very question I will ask you to ask yourself now: 

What is your definition of success?

Comments

Popular Posts